Editor's note: We have made this story free to all readers as an important public service. If you are able, please consider a subscription to the Redding Record Searchlight/Redding.com.
Firefighters have made significant progress on the Caldwell Fire that’s been burning in the Modoc National Forest since July 22, the U.S. Forest Service said Saturday.
The fire is now 85% contained and has burned 80,859 acres.
Control lines on all sides of the fire are holding, the Forest Service said. The southwest edge of the fire remains the most active.
“There are areas of (where) vegetation (hasn't burned) in the interior that may still ignite and show smoke,” a news release said.
The weather on Saturday will be hot and dry with temperatures reaching the mid-90s. Winds will be variable at 3 to 6 mph through the morning before they pick up a bit in the afternoon.
RELATED: California fire tracker: Map traces current fires burning across state in real-time
More warm and dry weather is expected next week, the Forest Service said.
The Caldwell Fire is the largest blaze in the July Complex of fires. The complex is about 30 miles northwest of Canby in the Modoc National Forest.
The other two fires in the July Complex, the Allen Fire and Dalton Fire, have been 100% contained. Combined, they burned about 1,400 acres.
The Medicine Lake recreation area and Lava Beds National Monument remain closed.
The fire grew a little bit, but progress continues containing the blaze.
The fire has burned 22,634 acres is 85% contained.
All evacuations and road closures have been lifted.
- Location: Highway 139 and County Road A-2, south of Adin, in northern Lassen County.
- Start date: July 20
- Cause: Under investigation
- Damage: 13 structures destroyed, five structures damaged.
- Injuries: 3
The fire is holding at 9,564 acres with containment at 92% as of Friday evening.
- Location: Hog Flat Reservoir, west of Susanville, in southern Lassen County
- Start date: July 18
- Cause: Under investigation
- All evacuation orders have been lifted except for the Forest Service closures and restricted areas. For more information, go to https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/lassen/home.
Shasta-Trinity National Forest
While the two fires in the Red Salmon Complex did not grow as of Saturday morning, there is still no containment.
The two fires in the complex — the Salmon Fire and the Red Fire — are still a combined 1,060 acres.
The fire is most active to the west toward Middle Fork of Red Cap Creek and is growing to the north toward toward the 10N01 Road at Salmon Summit.
Helicopters continue to assist ground crews.
Klamath National Forest
Firefighters continue to good progress battling 35 small lightning fires that started on the forest Sunday and Monday.
As of Friday evening, 18 of the fires were extinguished and 14 are either controlled or contained.
Some additional resources that were brought in to help local firefighters are being released because fire activity is winding down, the Forest Service said.
The three fires that crews are still working toward containment are all on the Happy Camp/Oak Ranger District:
- The Little Soda Fire is 54 acres and 60% contained and is burning south of Beaver Creek Campground.
- The 96 Fire, three miles of Horse Creek on Highway 96, is also 60% contained and is 9 acres.
- The Doolittle Fire near Happy Camp is 11 acres and 95% contained.
David Benda covers business, development and anything else that comes up for the USA TODAY Network in Redding. He also writes the weekly "Buzz on the Street" column. He’s part of a team of dedicated reporters that investigate wrongdoing, cover breaking news and tell other stories about your community. Reach him on Twitter @DavidBenda_RS or by phone at 1-530-225-8219. To support and sustain this work, please subscribe today.
- Joshua trees protected under the California Endangered Species Act in historic vote
- شرکت صادرات و واردات کالاهای مختلف از جمله کاشی و سرامیک و ارائه دهنده خدمات ترانزیت و بارگیری دریایی و ریلی و ترخیص کالا برای کشورهای مختلف از جمله روسیه و کشورهای حوزه cis و سایر نقاط جهان - بازرگانی علی قانعی
- J. C. Penney فروشگاه بازگشایی در Vero Beach, جنسن بیچ; اما زنده ماندن آنها ورشکستگی است ؟
- Coronavirus فلوریدا: برخی از پارک های ایالتی برای به اشتراک گذاشتن در دولت بخشی از بازگشایی
- ناصر رسولی
- How to Find the Best Deals When You Want to Buy PDF Books
- فورت پیرس خانواده با چهار فرزند آواره پس از آتش سوزی خانه
- Coronavirus زندگی می کنند به روز رسانی: 2,000 ما coronavirus مرگ و میر در یک روز; آمریکا 'نمی رسید اوج,' دکتر Birx می گوید
- واقعیت را بررسی کنید: مغلوب ساختن پیشی جستن می گوید: ما coronavirus مرگ و مير است 'یکی از کمترین ها در جهان
- چرا مردم در حال تبدیل به باغبانی در طول زمان دشوار است