Several roads on the Treasure Coast are vulnerable to flooding during heavy rain storms. Here are some to be watching out for as you are driving.
St. Lucie County
- U.S. 1 in north Fort Pierce
- Bell Avenue
- Kings Highway in Lakewood Park
- Easy Street
- Palmetto Avenue in White City
- Suson Lane in Holiday Pines
- Indian Bend Lane in Holiday Pines
- Sweetwater Drive (private road)
- Isola Bella Drive (private road)
- Indian River Estates, east of U.S. 1 between Midway Road and Easy Street.
- South 25th Street at Cortez Boulevard
Port St. Lucie
- Neighborhood around Oak Hammock School
- Airoso Boulevard in the middle of the city
- Dixie Highway from Bridge Road to Pettway Street
- U.S. 1 from Bridge Road to Pettway Street
- Crossrip Street at Hobe Terrace
- Dixie Highway at Saturn Avenue
- Portions of Kanner Highway between Salerno and Monterey roads
- Portions of U.S. 1 from North River Shores (just north of the Roosevelt Bridge) to Jensen Beach Boulevard
- Federal Highway (U.S. 1) at Baker Road
- Dixie Highway from Wright Boulevard to Fern Street, including Palm Street, Australian Street, Oleander Street and Poinsettia Street
- Federal Highway at Seabranch Boulevard
- Sections of Murphy Road
- Jensen Beach Boulevard from Goldenrod to Savannah roads
Indian River County
- Except for some localized areas, roads in Indian River County are expected to experience little sustained flooding during heavy downpours, according to law enforcement and public officials.
- Drainage and roads were improved after back-to-back hurricanes in 2004.
- State Road 60 is a four-laned evacuation route to the Florida Turnpike and central Florida.
- Barber Street in central Sebastian has been upgraded to provide easier access to four-laned County Road 512 that extends west to Interstate 95.
Here are flood-prone places to watch for:
- Low lying neighborhoods.
- 2100 block of Seventh Avenue at the entrance to the Miracle Mile Shopping Center.
- 10th Avenue, south of 20th Street and the Vero Beach Police Department.
- Several intersections along New York Avenue between North Myrtle Street and North Broadway Street
- North Broadway Street north of County Road 512
- Cypress Street in the area of Fellsmere Elementary School.
For complete coverage during hurricane season, stick with TCPalm. You can support our local journalism by subscribing.